Does my credit rating have any effect on my auto insurance premiums?
There are many things that play a role in determining your car insurance premiums and some factors vary by company and jurisdiction. However, in general, your car insurance premiums are affected by five main factors:
- Rate Class – The intended use of the vehicle is a huge risk factor. Someone using the car for the occasional grocery run would have a much lower loss exposure (risk) than someone using it for business.
- Territory of Operation – Some areas are higher risk than others or carry higher litigation costs.
- Claims Record – Someone with a higher number of recent claims would be considered a riskier driver and so will have to pay a higher premium.
- Make/Model/Year – These all have an effect on premiums based on the cost to repair and the loss statistics for that vehicle.
- Coverages – More comprehensive coverages or limits will require the insured to pay a higher premium.
So, as you can see, your credit rating isn't looked at during the rating process. The only way your credit rating could influence your car insurance premiums would be when you are financing your premiums and paying monthly rather than a lump sum, since you may be paying a higher interest rate if you have a sub-par credit score (learn more in Your Credit Score and Your Insurance Premium).
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey