What is universal life insurance?
What is universal life insurance? How is it different from whole life insurance?
Essentially, the premiums are usually lower than a whole life insurance policy, leaning more toward the cost of a term policy. But unlike term insurance, it also has a cash value accumulation aspect and does not expire, much like with a whole life insurance policy.
Essentially, payments for a universal life insurance policy are broken up into two parts:
- The first part works like a term policy and is used to maintain coverage. As long as you're paying for this part, your coverage will exist and continue to be in force. Your policy will be ready to provide coverage should you ever need it. This portion is flexible and fluctuates based on the insured's coverage needs. It can be paid for using the returns from the second portion of the premiums paid.
- The second part is the cash accumulation portion of the policy. Any payment in excess of the coverage maintenance portion goes towards investments that grow in cash value. The insured can also withdraw funds from this portion without affecting the death benefit.
Universal life insurance is a great choice for you if you value flexibility and find the investment aspect appealing. But definitely speak with a local adviser who can assess your financial situation and goals before purchasing one of these policies (see Insurance as an Investment? It's Called Permanent Insurance to learn more).
More Q&As from our experts
- How is term life insurance different than whole life insurance?
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
Subscribe To the Insuranceopedia Newsletter!
Do you want to stay on top of New Terms, New Products, Free Software, and Specials? Join one of our email newsletters. It's fast and easy. You will be among the first to know about hot new insurance related articles, goodies and great deals - it will only take seconds!
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey