How is term life insurance different than whole life insurance?
Term Life Insurance
- As the name implies, it is life insurance that is effective for a fixed period of time (for example, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years).
- Because it is limited to a fixed period, term life insurance is the most affordable life insurance policy and the easiest to buy.
- Typically, acquiring the policy involves less scrutiny of the applicant's medical status, occupation, age, and other factors than there is when applying for a whole life insurance policy (find out What Influences Life Insurance Premiums).
- A term life insurance policy usually will only pay for death benefits. There is no cash value or equity build-up aspect to it.
- Often, you can convert your term life insurance policy to a whole life policy.
Whole Life Insurance
- As the name implies, this is a life insurance policy that covers you for life.
- Since they cover you indefinitely, these policies are more expensive than term life insurance policies.
- The health examination is usually more thorough than those required for a term life policy. The underwriter will judge and rate any medical issues more harshly.
- A whole life insurance policy will come with a "cash value accumulation" aspect to it that builds up over the life of the policy and can be tapped into (via a withdrawal or borrowing) even before the policy holder passes away (learn more about Insurance as an Investment).
The biggest problem I see with the term policy is what to do upon renewal. If you cannot, or do not use the conversion option on your policy, then you might be denied a renewal of your life insurance (for example, if you have developed a serious health condition).
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey