Does my automobile insurance cover me against hit-and-run accidents?
Yes, your auto insurance policy will definitely cover a hit-and-run accident. Provided, of course, that you're not the one running!
While the specific wording of policies, along with their features and limits, will differ based on the jurisdiction, most basic automobile insurance policies will contain the following types of coverage:
- Third Party Liability: This provides coverage to third parties if the insured is found liable for causing damage. For example, if you accidentally hit a pedestrian in a parking lot and you are found to be at fault, your third party liability coverage would kick in to compensate the person you hit
- Accident Benefits: This provides coverage to the insured themselves if they are involved in an accident. The great thing about this coverage is that it pays regardless of who is at fault
- Underinsured Motorist Protection: This provides protection to the insured when the person causing the loss does not have adequate insurance to cover the damage they caused
- Uninsured or Unidentified Motorist Protection: Now, this is the part that we're primarily concerned about here. Most policies will have this coverage included to protect you against bodily injury or property damage from a hit-and-run (in other words, from injury and damage caused by an unidentified motorist)
So as you can see, nearly all basic auto insurance policies out there provide some pretty generous coverage (including protection from hit-and-run accidents). Note, however, that the deductible for hit-and-run property damage claims are usually quite high. As always, be sure to check with your insurer just to be 100% sure that you're protected. Hit-and-run accidents are often very serious and you don't want to be left with any added financial burden if you're the victim of one.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is the physical damage coverage on my auto insurance policy?
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey