How are my premiums affected by living in a flood zone?
I'm a homeowner who lives in an area prone to flooding. How are my premiums affected by the fact that I live in a flood zone?
To put it simply, living in a flood zone affects your flood insurance premiums by influencing your level of exposure to a flood-related loss. Most insurers in the United States use your zip code (either in part or in full, depending on how detailed they want to be) and match them to a FEMA Flood Zone Designation.
FEMA Flood Zone Designations are currently organized as follows:
- B and X (shaded) stand for moderate flood hazard
- C and X (unshaded) stand for minimal flood hazard
- Any designation that starts with an A is considered a high-risk area. In these areas, flood insurance is usually required.
- Any designation that starts with a V is considered a high-risk coastal area. Again, flood insurance may be mandatory here.
- D stands for undetermined risk areas, meaning no flood hazard analysis has been performed here.
More detailed information on the different flood zone designations and their meanings are available on the FEMA web site.
If you are in a higher risk area (a flood zone), it stands to reason that your flood insurance premiums will be higher to compensate the insurer for that increased risk (for a related discussion, see 5 Ways Climate Change Can Affect Your Home Insurance Policy).
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Subscribe To the Insuranceopedia Newsletter!
Do you want to stay on top of New Terms, New Products, Free Software, and Specials? Join one of our email newsletters. It's fast and easy. You will be among the first to know about hot new insurance related articles, goodies and great deals - it will only take seconds!
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey