What is not covered by my homeowner's insurance?

By Jacques Wong | Last updated: September 8, 2017

What is not covered by your homeowner insurance policy depends on the details of your specific policy. Always refer to your policy wordings to discover exactly what is and is not covered.

That said, I can still give you a general run down of some of the exclusions you'll find in the "model" policies that form the basis of the actual homeowner's policies available on the market.

In general, there are three base homeowner's insurance forms: homeowner's basic, homeowner's broad, and homeowner's comprehensive.

Homeowner's Basic Form

This form covers the building and personal property for named perils only. Everything else is excluded. Some of the common named perils include:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Smoke
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Theft

Some notable exclusions include:

  • Buildings for business use
  • Dwellings vacant for more than 30 days
  • Illegally acquired property
  • Property damaged by an insured's intentional acts
  • Damage caused by the application of heat, such as clothes damaged in a dryer (note, however, that while the clothes themselves would not be covered, resultant damage is covered)

Homeowner's Broad Form

This form covers personal property for named perils, and buildings for all risks. Now, "all risks" does not literally mean there is coverage for any and every risk; there are exclusions for things like certain kinds of water damage, wear and tear, earthquakes or other general earth movement – although you can get an endorsement for these (see 5 Water Damage Home Insurance Scenarios: Are You Covered? to learn more).

Homeowner's Comprehensive Form

This form covers both the building(s) and personal property for all risks. This is your most complete coverage form. Some notable exclusions include:

  • Sporting equipment due to use
  • Wear and tear or mechanical breakdown
  • Settling of building
  • Damage to property while being worked on (resultant damage is covered)
  • Water damage
  • Avalanche, landslides, earthquakes, or general earth movement

Share this Q&A

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter


Personal Property Home Insurance Personal Lines

Written by Jacques Wong

Profile Picture of Jacques Wong

Jacques grew up around the insurance industry and began actively participating in 2013. Since then, he has gotten a Level 2 license, won Insurance Council of BC awards in 2015 and 2020 for academic excellence in the insurance licensing courses. He educates insurance professionals through PNC Learning and as a Thought Leader at ReFrame Insurance.

In his day job as an insurance broker, he helps businesses with creative risk management solutions and strategic advice when it comes to insurance.

More Q&As from our experts

Related Articles

Term of the Day

Retrospective Rating

Retrospective rating is the practice of changing an initial premium based on actual losses incurred. The initial premium for...
Read Full Term

Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!

The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.

Go back to top