Can I avoid the penalties of a short rate cancellation?
1. A pro rata cancellation is a full refund of any unearned premiums. This amount is proportional to the amount of time remaining on the policy. For example, if an insured pays a premium of $12,000 for the year, but the policy is cancelled after 6 months on a pro-rata basis, the insurer returns $6000 to the insured—50% of the policy remaining means 50% of the premium is refunded.
2. A short rate cancellation is the same as a pro rata refund minus some administrative costs or minimum retained premium.Pro rata cancellations are applied when the insurer cancels the policy. This usually happens because of some material change in circumstances and the insurer doesn't feel comfortable staying on the policy (find out How an Insurance Company Decides to Insure You). On the other hand, short rate cancellations are applied when the insured opts to cancel the policy mid-term.
Generally, there is no way to avoid a short rate cancellation and its associated penalties if you are opting to cancel the policy of your own volition. There are, however, some insurance companies, such as the Canadian insurer Intact Insurance, that will let you do a pro rata cancellation even when you opt to cancel.
More Q&As from our experts
- Can I cancel my auto insurance at any time?
- Is flat cancellation an option for every insurance contract?
- Can I avoid the penalties of a short rate cancellation?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey