Do I need proof of purchase for stolen items to file a burglary insurance claim?
To put it simply: no. You only need to show proof of ownership to have a valid claim. For example, if you received a gift from a friend and that item was stolen, you would still have a valid insurance claim as long as you could show that you owned the item in question.
In general, there are 6 ways to prove ownership of an item to an insurance company. Which ones your insurer will accept depends on your insurer's policies, the situation, and the value of the stolen item.
- Receipt: This is the most straightforward and widely accepted way to prove ownership. If it is a high-end item and you lost the receipt for it, you can typically go back to the boutique or call the company it was purchased from and ask them to generate one for you.
- Credit card statement or bill: If a receipt is not available, you can also present your credit card bill or any payment invoices for the item as proof of ownership. This is nearly as powerful as a receipt.
- Accessories or packaging: While not ideal, presenting any accessories like manuals or the box the item came in is sometimes accepted as proof of ownership.
- Photo: In some circumstances, insurers will also accept photos of you wearing or using the item as proof of ownership; even for expensive items.
- Notarized oath: Some insurers may accept a notarized oath where you attest that you owned that item as proof of ownership. Your insurance company's mileage may vary with this one.
- No proof: For some miscellaneous inexpensive items, no proof is required as long as they add up to reasonable sums.
While a receipt is the most straightforward way of proving ownership, any of the 6 things above can be used alone or in combination to prove to the insurer that you owned the item and establish your right to receive compensation for your loss.
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Subscribe To the Insuranceopedia Newsletter!
Do you want to stay on top of New Terms, New Products, Free Software, and Specials? Join one of our email newsletters. It's fast and easy. You will be among the first to know about hot new insurance related articles, goodies and great deals - it will only take seconds!
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey