Does my credit score have any effect on my insurance premiums?
In general, your credit score has no direct effect on your insurance premiums. However, depending on your insurer, there are two circumstances in which your credit score will have an effect on your overall premiums paid:
- When you elect to pay your premiums on a month-to-month basis or opt for financing your premiums in some way. Your credit score comes into play here because it acts on your interest rate. Typically, someone with a lower credit score would incur a higher interest rate, meaning that their overall premiums paid at the end of the policy term would be higher.
- When your policy has a credit check provision. Some policies, such as Aviva's Ovation product in Canada, allow insurance applicants to consent to a soft credit check (which does not affect their credit scores). Based on that score, they can get a premium discount of up to 40%. This discount is offered because someone with good credit is seen to be more responsible and, therefore, a lower risk (see Your Credit Score and Your Insurance Premium to learn more). While I have not read other policy wordings that contain this provision, Aviva's mentions that a potential insured would not be denied coverage or incur a surcharge as a result of this soft credit check.
Given the massive savings to be had through a soft credit assessment, it is worth asking your broker if your policy has such an option (to find out what an insurance broker can do for you, see What Is an Insurance Broker?).
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Subscribe To the Insuranceopedia Newsletter!
Do you want to stay on top of New Terms, New Products, Free Software, and Specials? Join one of our email newsletters. It's fast and easy. You will be among the first to know about hot new insurance related articles, goodies and great deals - it will only take seconds!
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey