Should I buy flood insurance?
Whether you need flood insurance or not depends on a few factors. It mostly has to do with the level of risk you're comfortable with taking on, the cost of the coverage, and whether your home or business is located in an area that is highly susceptible to flooding. Clearly, if you're living in a dry area, far away from coastlines or bodies of water, you probably would not need flood insurance.
Because flood, as a standalone peril, is typically excluded from most homeowners and commercial policies, it will need to be added on separately. The cost of such a policy varies based on risk factors and the value of the property you wish to insure.
That said, given the added costs involved, when would it be in your best interest to get flood insurance? There are two situations in which it is worth purchasing:
- Your lender requires it as a condition for getting the loan. If you're living in an area that is at high risk of flood, such as a flood plain, your mortgagee might require that you purchase flood insurance in order to protect their collateral (your house).
- You are not comfortable with the risk. This might be the case if you live in a high value home or have expensive items in the basement or other areas susceptible to flood damage. If you're uncomfortable or unable to pay a large sum out of pocket for repairs or to replace valuables, then it makes sense to purchase flood insurance.
Generally speaking, adding optional insurance coverage to your policy is like any other financial decision. It is a personal assessment that factors in costs, benefits, and risks. Not everyone will opt for flood insurance but, sometimes, the peace of mind is worth paying the extra premium.
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey