If a party guest drives home drunk, is the host liable?

By Jacques Wong | Last updated: April 20, 2018

Most people understand that it is not a good idea to continue serving alcohol to a guest who is obviously drunk. For the safety of that guest and the other party goers, it's important to cut them off. While the legal duty of "social hosts" is lower than that of servers in a restaurant or bar, you could still be held liable and sued for the actions of the intoxicated guest (if you're a business serving alcohol, see Liquor Liability Insurance: Do You Need It?).

While there are hundreds of arguments to be made about personal responsibility, a host who continues to serve a guest while they are obviously intoxicated could be held liable if the guest drives home drunk and causes an accident (find out Why You Need a Lot of Liability Coverage).

That being said, not every host will be held liable when a guest drives home intoxicated. They have to be deemed negligent in some way. For example, you could be held liable if:

  • The guest was obviously intoxicated but you still served them drinks
  • You knew the guest was planning to drive
  • You failed to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of your guests (by arranging a taxi or designated driver service)
  • You failed to train staff properly to ensure that alcohol is served responsibly
  • You had full control of the guest's liquor consumption (all the liquor they consumed was on your premises and the liquor was provided by you)

There are also some risk management strategies you can take to reduce your liability and ensure the safety of your guests.

  • Don't have an open bar
  • Serve drinks that are a bit smaller than the usual size
  • Don't permit drinking games
  • Serve food (this slows down the absorption rate of alcohol)
  • Stay sober so you can drive or be clear-headed in your decision-making
  • Hire a professional and certified bartender to serve the drinks - they can watch for signs of intoxication as well as absorb some of your legal liability

And finally, if the worst-case scenario does materialize, you should also have an insurance policy in place to ensure that you're protected. Talk to your agent or broker about Social Host Liquor Liability insurance or, as it's sometimes called, Party Alcohol Liability.

Share this Q&A

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter


Home Insurance Liability Insurance Personal Lines

Written by Jacques Wong

Profile Picture of Jacques Wong

Jacques grew up around the insurance industry and began actively participating in 2013. Since then, he has gotten a Level 2 license, won Insurance Council of BC awards in 2015 and 2020 for academic excellence in the insurance licensing courses. He educates insurance professionals through PNC Learning and as a Thought Leader at ReFrame Insurance.

In his day job as an insurance broker, he helps businesses with creative risk management solutions and strategic advice when it comes to insurance.

More Q&As from our experts

Related Articles

Term of the Day

Actual Cash Value

Actual cash value (ACV) is one way that insurance companies measure the worth of assets for an insurance claim. They...
Read Full Term

Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!

The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.

Go back to top