Will the insurance company pay my claim if someone else was driving my car?
To give you a short answer: yes, your auto insurance policy will pay even if someone else if driving your car.
This, however, is subject to a few conditions. The most common of these is that the person driving the car must have been authorized to do so. So, if someone steals your vehicle – even if it's your spouse or child taking it without your permission – and gets into accident, it won't be covered.
Other than not being an authorized driver, you will have no auto insurance coverage if the driver is violating any of the following:
- The Motor Vehicle Act: if the driver is violating any part of the Motor Vehicle Act (for instance, by driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol), there is no coverage should an accident occur
- Purpose: if the driver is using the vehicle for a purpose other than the purpose stated on the insurance policy, there is no coverage. This usually comes up when a driver has a vehicle insured under the pleasure use rate class but is actually using it for business purposes. If the insurer can prove that this was the case at the time of the accident, there would be no coverage
- Intentional Act of Violence: if the driver intentionally caused the accident (perhaps in a fit of road rage), there is no coverage
- Illegal Purpose: if the driver is using the car for an illegal purpose (such as racing or evading police pursuit), then there is no coverage should an accident occur
There are other things that may invalidate your auto insurance but these are the main ones. Your insurance would still pay even though someone else is driving the vehicle provided no other conditions were breached.
More Q&As from our experts
- When should I file an auto insurance claim?
- Are my comprehensive and collision premiums affected when my car loses value?
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey