How are partial loss insurance claims handled?
A partial loss refers to property that has been damaged but is still functional. Despite the differences between them, insurance claims on partial losses are handled in much the same way as total losses.
Losses must be reported as soon as practicable (either directly to the insurer or to your insurance agent or broker). The insurance company will assign an adjuster and the claims are investigated. As the insured, you must provide reasonable assistance with the insurer's investigations, and you are eventually indemnified.
The only major difference between partial loss and total loss claims is that co-insurance will apply only to partial losses. A co-insurance requirement of 80% is one that requires an insured to buy a limit of insurance of at least 80% of the property's value. If not, a co-insurance penalty may apply to reduce the amount of indemnity paid by the insurer. Co-insurance is waived, however, for total losses, losses under $5,000, or losses that are less than 2% of the property's value (whichever is lesser).
An important thing to note about partial losses is the Pair & Set Rule (also known as the Parts Rule). This rule states that the loss of an item does not constitute loss of the full set. The remaining item(s) in a pair or set is deemed to still have value so the insurer will only pay for the lost item.
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Subscribe To the Insuranceopedia Newsletter!
Do you want to stay on top of New Terms, New Products, Free Software, and Specials? Join one of our email newsletters. It's fast and easy. You will be among the first to know about hot new insurance related articles, goodies and great deals - it will only take seconds!
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey