How is rental home insurance different than homeowners insurance?
As the name implies, rental home insurance is bought by customers who want to insurance a home they own and intend to rent out to a tenant. Homeowners' insurance, on the other hand, is meant for people who own their home and will live in it themselves. While that might seem like a superficial difference, there are some major differences when it comes to the kinds of coverage each type of policyholder receives.
First of all, with homeowners insurance, since the insured will be living in the home, they will have personal contents (clothes, jewelry, electronic devices, and so on) that must be insured under the homeowners policy (but see An Intro to Insurance Sublimits to find out whether you will need supplemental coverage).
As a landlord, however, you do not have any insurable interest in the personal property that is kept within the home. Rental home insurance, then, does not need to include personal property coverage.
Homeowners and landlords also have different liability coverage needs. Generally speaking, a landlord is only liable for things related to the maintenance of the building, any furnishings they provide, and any common areas (such as hallways and parking lots). Homeowners normally have extra liability exposures on top of these. For instance, if an owner leaves water on the kitchen floor and a guest slips and injures themselves, then the owner would be liable, whereas a landlord would not.
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!
The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey