Is debris removal covered by a homeowners insurance policy?
I live in an area that sometimes gets really damaging storms. If my property has debris on it after a weather event, will the removal of it be covered by my homeowners insurance policy?
Yes, debris removal is typically automatically covered under a homeowner insurance policy (learn more about your coverage in Breaking Down Your Homeowner's Insurance Policy, from Coverage A to E). This covers the removal of debris from the insured's own property or from other things blown onto the insured's property. However, the extent to which debris removal is covered depends on the type of policy purchased.
Under the most basic Fire Policy, debris removal is covered if it results from an insured peril or windstorm. However, an important exclusion is that it does not recover the cost of testing for and cleaning of pollutants. As a general rule, anything to do with pollutants is not covered by your typical insurance policy as losses may be disproportionately large.
The amount of debris removal coverage is typically only up to 25% of the total value of the loss minus any deductible that may apply.
More Q&As from our experts
- Does my company need cyber insurance?
- Does home insurance cover snow damage?
- Can I get a discount on my car insurance if I have winter tires?
Subscribe To the Insuranceopedia Newsletter!
Do you want to stay on top of New Terms, New Products, Free Software, and Specials? Join one of our email newsletters. It's fast and easy. You will be among the first to know about hot new insurance related articles, goodies and great deals - it will only take seconds!
- Free Life Insurance Quoter Tool: Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia and no hassles.
- Get a Life Insurance Quote with Insuranceopedia
- Get a life insurance quote online in minutes with Insuranceopedia's Free Life Insurance Quoter
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our short reader survey!
- Win $100 Amazon Gift Card by taking our 2-minute Reader Survey