Are there any exclusions in vandalism and malicious mischief (VMM) insurance policies?

By Insuranceopedia Staff | Last updated: June 13, 2023

Like the name implies, vandalism and malicious mischief (VMM) policies cover losses caused by vandalism. They are a default feature of most homeowners and commercial insurance policies and are particularly useful for schools, churches, or other frequently unoccupied buildings as they are the most at risk of vandalism.

The specific exclusions your policy may be subject to might be different, but in general, we typically see the following exclusions in homeowners or commercial policy wordings (not all of these will apply):

  1. Vandalism or malicious mischief caused by burglars
  2. Theft losses as part of vandalism or malicious act
  3. Business interruption or other indirect losses as a result of an act of vandalism
  4. Damage caused by insured(s) or their employees
  5. Damage during a building’s course of construction
  6. Damage to a vacant building (see How Should I Insure a Vacant Building? to learn more about this special case)

For the best information on exclusions, it is best to refer to your individual policy wordings. Depending on locale, clauses or phrases that may limit coverage will be printed in red font.

Share this

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
Insuranceopedia Staff
Whether you're facing an insurance issue or just seeking helpful information, Insuranceopedia aims to be your trusted online resource for insurance-related information. With the help of insurance professionals across the country, we answer your top insurance questions in plain, accessible language.

More Q&As from our experts

Term of the Day


Insurance is a financial arrangement in which one party pays another to protect itself from a particular loss. Insurance…
Read Full Term

Stay informed with Insuranceopedia!

The world of insurance can be complicated. Subscribe to the Insuranceopedia newsletter and stay in the know! Access expert content, industry term definitions and answers to your questions from knowledgeable insurance insiders. Arm yourself with what you need to know to keep your assets and your family safe.

Go back to top